Wednesday, February 17, 2010

programming languages

I'm going to document my learning of programming languages and discuss which language I plan to use for which kinds of projects. Actually, I will include programs as well as languages.

First, here are the languages I'd like to learn/ programs I'd like to install and use.

  • an object-oriented scripting language, not to be confused with Java
  • usually implemented as an integrated component of the web browser for dynamic websites
  • syntax is influenced by C (as is Java, and there the similarities between Java and JavaScript end).
  • W3Schools has a tutorial for JavaScript.
2) C++

3) Microsoft Visual Basic 2008

4) Microsoft .NET Framework
  • A software framework for applications on Windows, using Windows SDK (Software Development Kit) which is available free for download.
  • The Base Class Library (BCL) contains features to control user interface, data access, web application development, network communications, etc.
  • http://www.microsoft.com/NET/

5) XHTML -- a stricter, cleaner version of HTML
6) XML -- Extensible Markup Language
  • W3Schools XML tutorial
  • was designed to transport and store data
  • XML is independent of hardware, software, and application, so it is a useful way to store data so that it can be transported easily cross-platform.
6) CSS -- (Cascading Style Sheets) are useful for controlling the style and layout of webpages
  • Actually I've already learned this, but I'd like to revamp my website (which is now completely defunct) and want to get reacquainted with CSS.
  • W3Schools CSS tutorial

  • originally developed for text manipulation
  • supports both procedural and object oriented programming
  • here is a good introduction to the language: perldoc.perl.org
  • download ActivePerl for Windows (click on Windows Installer MSI). To figure out whether you have an x64 or x86, go to Start > Help and Support > Tools > My Computer Information > General.
  • my first project was to organize my delicious bookmarks by domain name. I'll explain how I did that in the next post.
9) PHP -- a powerful tool for making dynamic and interactive webpages
10) SQL -- standard language for accessing databases
11) Java
12) Python

And a couple of things that aren't programming languages:

1) Cygwin
2) WordPress


No comments: